Monday, August 24, 2009

Our Deck: Full of Surprises


Monday: a great day to tidy up our big, upper level deck. The weather was perfect this morning, and I couldn't wait to get going. I checked all the planters, pulled some weeds (how can you get weeds in planters that are 10' above the ground?), and began getting ready to cover our big grill (a bad chef left off the cover last night).

I picked up the grill cover, shook it out, and began easing it over the grill, when something BIG dropped out of the cover onto the deck.

A VERY confused bat was spread-eagled on the deck boards. Now, everyone who knows me knows how much I like all things natural, and you all know that I am really not afraid of 'critters' of any kind. Well...startled is startled. I screeched. Yup.

Hubby came out quickly. I said: "It's a BAT!" (Intelligent, right?)

We both looked at the bat, who was twitching in the sunlight. Then we took photos, being careful not to touch it. I was sure that it was okay, just confused and be-thumped.

We went back into our Great Room. I looked out about 10 minutes later, and the bat had flown off, recovered.

Recovered, but - I am sure of this - resentful! After all, if you were curled up inside a safe, cozy cover, sound asleep, and someone DUMPED you onto the ground, you would not be happy!

I hope the bat forgives me.

1 comment: