Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Garden Dreams



It's almost March, and a Gardener's thoughts turn to dreams of the riot of colors and shapes that are sleeping under the mulch. So poetic!

But first, it's time to put on the 'Sloggers' and get out there in that muddy mulch to do some needed chores.

Yesterday, I stretched and groaned while lopping the too-tall tops off the Winged Euonymous (Burning Bush) hedge on the North side of the Garage (the side that Testosterone Tom likes to visit). But...wait...did she say that a sun-loving shrub like Burning Bush is on the NORTH side of her house? Let me say this...I DID NOT PLANT THEM THERE! I am WAY smarter than that! But they were happily rooted and over 7foot tall when we moved here 5 years ago, so they are staying. They make a valiant effort to turn sort of red in the Autumn, but without full sun, they just can't get it right. However, they are HUGE, and every February, I trim them down below the garage roof level. It's great upper body exercise.

I created quite a pile of cuttings, and neatly raked it to the side. It's waiting for me today. The plan is to move it to the 'to be burned later' pile by the woods. Also in the plans is a determined effort to remove the Winter's deposit of branches and twigs that are carpeting our little yard.

So, with dreams of the seasons to come, I will put on the muck boots and set off into the still barren wasteland of my gardens. But...I will leave you with photos of past glories: an early blooming Anemone Flower, and the glories of the Perennial Bed last year.

Sweet Flower Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment